How would you make a virtual tour for a high-ranked international University with a strong visual identity?
There is no other choice but to strive to make the best virtual tour anyone has ever made for a university. It has to have top-of the art photography, excellent design that reflects the university’s visual identity, a super-smooth user interface, the most comfortable user experience in any platform, and then also that something special that has not been done before.
We believe that all of these things are present in the new virtual tour, which was created for Aalto University, making it one of the best virtual tours that has ever been created for an educational institute.
Standout features in Aalto University virtual tour include:
- Custom made intro animation in SVG format
- 3D generated overview map at the beginning of the tour
- 44 spherical 360° panoramas
- 3 spherical 360° videos
- Information hotspots throughout the tour with the possibility to include text, links, videos and photos
- Mini map at the bottom left corner to show the current building/area
- Special VR mode: allows to experience the tour using VR headset (for example Oculus Quest)
- User interface, designed according to Aalto University CVI
- Separate user interface designed to work with smaller mobile devices
- Audio guide (actually different audio guides, one for main tour and separate guide for each Thematic tour)
- Thematic Tours feature: allow us to present smaller guided tours inside one large University tour
- Code and structure that is optimized for easier future updatability (adding languages, more panoramas, Thematic tours and so on
- Detailed custom Google Analytics with event tracking.
Those key features are applied to the tour in an orchestrated way to create simple and fluent experience. Observant user will also notice that the elements in the user interface do not just simply appear but nearly all movements are animated, creating unprecedentedly smooth feel.
Aalto University virtual tour is created by:
- Photography and project lead: Tuur
- Client-side project lead: Anastasia McAvennie
- Design: BitFiner
- Code: Andrey Sudarchikov